For creative professionals, Austin Kleon’s books are similar to guides. The books Steal Like an Artist, Show Your Work and Keep Going are parts of a creative bible. They guide you to be creative and grow as a creative professional.
So, what is Steal Like an Artist about?
Steal Like an Artist is all about being in touch with your artistic side. This article compiles all the Austin Kleon Steal Like an Artist quotes to fuel your creative brain.
Check the other articles in this three-part inspiring creativity quotes by Austin Kleon:
Let’s check them out.
1) All creative work builds on what came before.
2) The more good ideas you collect, the more you can choose from to be influenced by.
3) First you figure out what’s worth stealing, then you move on to the next thing.
If you would like the full book summary, check:
4) Study everything about one artist. Then find three people that the thinker loved, and find out everything about them.
5) It’s in the act of making things and doing your work that you figure out who you are.
6) Most people don’t know where the good stuff comes from. They just show up to do their thing. Every day.
7) Stealing is not plagiarising; stealing is copying.
8) Plagiarising is trying to pass someone else’s work off as your own. Copying is about reverse-engineering. So, don’t just steal the style, steal the thinking behind the style.
9) Add something to the world that only you can add.
10) Write the book you want to read and do the work you want to be seen done.
11) Make your process as hands-on as possible.
12) Side projects and hobbies are important.
13) It’s good to have a lot of projects going at once, so you can bounce between them.
14) Do good work and share it with people.
15) Know you’re going to suck for a while. Fail. Get better. Experiment.
16) Do things just for the fun of it. And put those stuff on the Internet.
17) Find a place that feeds you; creatively, socially, spiritually and literally.
18) Keep a praise file. Keep it around for when you need the lift.
19) Get comfortable with being misunderstood, disparaged or ignored. Get too busy to care.
20) The best way to get approval is to not need it.
21) Establishing and keeping a routine can be even more important than having a lot of time.
22) Creativity isn’t just the things you choose to put in; it’s the things you choose to leave out.
23) The way to get over a creative block is to simply place some constraints on yourself.
And those were all the beautiful quotes about creativity from the book.
Liked the collection?
Join Book Blabbers WhatsApp group to bond over books, memes and quotes.
Subscribe to Book Blabber's Bulletin to get book summaries, reading tips and occasional hugs in your inbox.