I liked Contagious book for its case study of various viral products and campaigns. I read the version – Contagious: How to Build Word of Mouth in the Digital Age. And this article is a collection of Contagious quotes telling why things catch on.
In the book, Jonah Berger dissected the contagious phenomena of various products. He based them upon his STEPPS framework; a mnemonic for Social Currency, Triggers, Emotion, Public Visibility, Practical Value and Stories.
The book is filled with example after example of contagious marketing. It explains how the Contagious STEPPS attributes make things contagious.
Time to explore some of the insightful Contagious book quotes to give you an inkling of how things catch on.
1) One reason some products and ideas become popular is that they are just plain better.
2) Contagious content is so inherently viral that it spreads regardless of who is doing the talking.
3) Six things that make content contagious: social currency, triggers, emotion, public, practical value and stories.
4) Virality isn't born; it's made.
5) If something is supposed to be secret, people might well be more likely to talk about it.
6) Give people a way to make themselves look good while promoting their products and ideas along the way. There are three ways to do that: (1) find inner remarkability; (2) leverage game mechanics; and (3) make people feel like insiders.
7) The mere fact that something isn't readily available can make people value it more and tell others to capitalize on the social currency of knowing about it or having it.
8) Marketing is about tapping into people's genuine enthusiasm for products and services that they find useful. Or fun. Or beautiful.
9) Give people a product they enjoy, and they'll be happy to spread the word.
10) Pick triggers that happen near where the desired customer behaviour is taking place.
11) The more something is triggered, the more it will be top of mind, and the more successful it will become.
12) Top of mind means tip of tongue.
13) Select high-arousal emotions that drive people to action.
14) We need to get people excited or make them laugh. We need to make them angry rather than sad.
15) Emotion sharing is like social glue; maintaining and strengthening relationships.
16) A key factor in driving products to catch on is public visibility. If something is built to show, it's built to grow.
17) The more others seem to be doing something, the more likely people are to think that thing is right or normal and what they should be doing as well.
18) Offering practical value helps make things contagious.
19) People don't think in terms of more information. They think in terms of narratives.
20) There's a big difference between people talking about content and people talking about the one that created that content.
21) Make sure your desired information is so embedded into the plot that people can't tell the story without it.
22) Not only make something viral but also make it valuable to the sponsoring company.
23) Contagious products and ideas are like forest fires. They can't happen without hundreds, if not thousands, of regular Joes and Janes passing the product or message along.
And those were all the Contagious Jonah Berger quotes I liked. They are some of the best quotes from Contagious to follow. Contagious book is a good read for anyone delving into marketing psychology. Jonah Berger’s STEPPS gives a good idea about contagious content and virality.
Liked these quotes from Contagious marketing book?
Join Book Blabbers WhatsApp group to bond over books, memes and quotes.
Subscribe to Book Blabber’s Bulletin to get book summaries, reading tips and occasional hugs in your inbox.