How to Win Friends book by Dale Carnegie is a magical guide about the art of making friends. It tells you what friendly people do, how they act (behave), and how they interact. Check my summary of How to Win Friends and the principles here
Although I found some tips creepy and miles away flattering, most of the lessons from How to Win Friends were actually helpful.
This article lists some of the best quotes from How to Win Friends and Influence Others.
Let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
To Handle People
1) Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.
2) If you want to gather honey, don’t kick over the beehive.
3) We are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion.
4) The only way you can get anyone to do anything is by giving them what they want.
5) The way to develop the best in a person is by appreciation and encouragement.
6) Give honest and sincere appreciation.
7) Get the other person’s point of view and see things from that person’s angle.
8) Arouse in the other person an eager want.
To Make People Like You
9) Become genuinely interested in other people.
10) People are not interested in you. They are not interested in me.
12) It should be a real smile, a heart-warming smile, a smile that comes from within.
13) Remember a person’s name.
14) Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound.
15) Be a good listener.
16) Talk in terms of the other person’s interests.
17) Make the other person feel important.
To Win People to Your Way of Thinking
18) Avoid arguments.
19) If you are wrong, admit it.
20) You will never get into trouble by admitting that you may be wrong.
21) Show respect for others’ opinions.
22) Begin in a friendly way.
23) Get them to say “yes, yes” immediately.
24) The “yes” response captures the attention for the ultimate proposal.
25) Let the other person do the talking.
26) Let the other person feel that the idea is theirs.
27) Be sympathetic with others’ ideas and desires.
28) See things from others’ point of view.
29) Appeal to the nobler motives.
30) Dramatize your ideas.
31) Throw down a challenge.
To Change People Without Arousing Resentment
32) Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
33) Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly.
34) Talk about your own mistakes first.
35) Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
36) People are more likely to accept an order if they have had a part in the decision.
37) Let the other person save face.
38) Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement.
39) Only when your praise is specific, it comes across as sincere.
40) Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
41) Make the fault seem easy to correct.
42) Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.
And those were all the Dale Carnegie quotes from How to Win Friends.
Liked the article?
Join Book Blabbers WhatsApp group to bond over books, memes and quotes.
Subscribe to Book Blabber's Bulletin to get book summaries, reading tips and occasional hugs in your inbox.